How to play WMA files on Android? What is the easiest way for me to do it? These are some of the questions that I get asked when people find out that I’m an avid music listener. The most common answer is “use VLC player.”
This app has been around since 1996 and, surprisingly, remains a favorite among many who love listening to their favorite tunes. There are other ways, too, though!
Read on for more details about how you can listen to your WMA file without any hassle.
What Is WMA File?
WMA file is a proprietary audio format by Microsoft. It was developed as an alternative to MP-Windows Media Audio and used the same codecs used in Windows Media Player version 11.
It has been discontinued since it became obsolete, but you can still find people who love this type of music player because there are no other alternatives available for WMA files on Android devices at all.
Playing WMA files on an android device cannot be played directly from your phone or laptop like mp-WMA or mp-WAV formats, making them inaccessible without downloading third-party app stores, which have pirated apps inside. Their menus!.
How To Play WMA Files On Android?
Many media player apps can be installed on your Android device and play WMA files.
#1. WMA Music Player
WMA Music Player is the most popular and free WMA player on Android.
It is effortless to use an app that can play almost every audio file format, but what makes it unique are the customizations available for users, such as:
Equalizer with bass control capability – SRS sound enhancement technology which offers HD quality audio without distortion of any kind!
You will also be able to see lyrics from your favorite song if you want to sing along while listening or just read the words in case you don’t know how they go by heart yet. This lyric display option is compatible with mp-WAV files and supports other formats like mp-FLAC, mp-OGG, and many more!.
Features Of WMA Music Player
- Play your music by song, album, playlist, folder, artist, genre.
- Play music in the background and lock your device as you please.
- Download lyrics for songs that have them!
- Change the font size to make reading easier for eyesight-impaired people (or if you want a more comprehensive text on screen).
- Rename files using their metadata such as artist, album, song title, or genre.
- Add/remove albums by loading one folder with all of the necessary work done ahead of time!. *In this case, it won’t be possible to delete folders separately*.
- Get notified when new releases come out from any band or musician!. .This is an excellent feature, mainly because there will always be something new coming out, so don’t miss any release announcements ever again!.
- Record & edit audio files from Android.
- Show play/pause, album artwork, skip forward on lock-screen or status bar.
- Change the look of your music player!
- Share, delete or add songs to a playlist.
- Remove an item from the list by checking it and pressing ‘delete.’
- All popular music format support – mp3, WMA.
- Two different play modes: list and shuffle.
- Equalizer supported for all music formats.
- Click on any song to play it without leaving the app!
- No need for third-party software or plug-ins!. .*This is a massive bonus because most of them have been abandoned by their developers and are no longer available*.
- It’s really easy to export your songs from the iTunes library onto Android – click the ‘Import’ button in our music player, select a folder with your MP files, and you will transfer all your digital tracks into this excellent app.
#2. VLC For Android
The easy way to play WMA files on Android is by using the VLC app. This fantastic software can be installed via Google Play, and it’s compatible with all types of music formats, including WMA.
The only downside to this solution is that you’ll need additional apps for your phone or tablet to connect with external devices like USB flash drives and SD cards.
Once those are connected, copy-paste any songs from your computer onto them and then open up the VLC player! You will see a button labeled ‘Add.’ select which folder contains the mp file (WMA) you want to be played.
Features Of VLC For Android
- Supports Most Of The Format
- If you’re looking for an app that can play WMA files, VLC For Android is the way to go.
- You don’t need any external connections: just put your mp (WMA) file on a USB flash drive and plug it into your phone’s or tablet’s OTG port! The best part about this solution is that it also supports all music formats, so even if you have some other types of media files in addition to .mp (WMA), they will still be playable within the app without having to change them over first.
- This makes VLC one of our favorites because we love not needing additional apps to change formatting while leaving others untouched on our device storage space.
- Play Multiple Songs at the same time
- If you ever get tired of listening to the same song over and over, then your music player app can play multiple songs at once.
- This will allow you some variation in choice without having to switch back and forth between different apps.
- It is important to note that this music player app includes all codecs and formats, which means you will never need anything else if you have a song in one of these formats.
- This makes it easy for those who do not want the trouble of downloading additional apps just for formatting when they are already using VLC Media Player as their primary source.
- Listen with headphones or speakers
- Even though many people use their smartphone without any headset attached, there are still some situations where either choice can be preferable.
- For example, headsets often give you superior sound quality than your phone would while playing music through Bluetooth or via speakerphone mode on your device itself.
#3. Rocket Music Player
The Rocket Music Player is another of the most popular apps for Android.
The free version is limited to playing songs in one playlist, but it offers more features such as an equalizer and crossfade settings if you upgrade.
For those looking for something that also gives them access to podcasts and radio stations, there are other options available that may be better suited to this need.
Features Of Rocket MusicPlayer
- Display by song, album, artist, playlist, composer, genre, and more.
- Playlists can be created, edited, or deleted at any time.
- Customizable equalizer presets for all music genres: classical, jazz, rock, pop, etc.
- Crossfade between songs with adjustable playback speed (0-200%).
- Shuffle mode to play songs in random order automatically – great for parties!
- Choose from over 5000 high-quality free internet radio stations worldwide that are included in the app.
- It consists of a Brand graphics equalizer which makes the sound more clear and crisp.
- Accessibility for the blind consists of VoiceOver, a feature where an audible voice reads out what is displayed on the screen.
- Adjustable volume with Mute function in case you want to fall asleep to music.
- Create playlists from songs stored locally or over 20 million free MP-B Radio stations worldwide without purchasing any new apps!
- Shows album art while playing a piece of music as well as full lyrics when available!
- It includes 30 + themes to customize your player to match the look of your phone.
- Allows you to create and share playlists with friends on Facebook, Twitter, or by email!
- It includes a calendar function so that you can always know what day it is at any time.
- It supports lyrics while playing a song.
- It supports text to speech when you want the app to read aloud what’s on your screen!
- It can edit the Tag Information for all your music files.
- It is the ultimate player to have!
- Most of the audio formats are supported, and they can also be used as an equalizer.
- It includes a batch section for editing equalizer settings
- It consists of a notepad section for all your note-taking needs!
- Custom lock screen widgets that will allow you to play music and take calls!
- It also has a sleep timer so that you can fall asleep with music playing
- You can make podcast bookmark and also put them in a playlist
- Scrobbling support
- It supports Chromecast, using which you can stream your music on a TV!
- The app is entirely free with no in-app purchases.
- It also supports Android Auto, which gives you a great way to listen to your music in the car!
- It also has an offline mode to play some of your favorite songs when there is no internet connection.
#4. Poweramp Music Player
It is a music player app for Android that lets you manage your music collection and playlists.
It has a free trial with no limitations to the functionality of the app.
The best thing about this player is its ability to transfer or convert audio files without any hassle!
This makes sure that the application supports all formats, so you do not have to worry while downloading content from an external source.
You can also create custom presets, which will allow you to switch between different sound effects easily in just one click!
Poweramp Music Player is compatible with Android devices running versions starting at Gingerbread (Android v.2010) onwards and supports Google Chromecast and speakers connected over Bluetooth/WiFi etc.
Features Of Poweramp Music Player
- Poweramp Music Player is now faster and has a new audio engine that takes advantage of the most modern Android hardware to deliver an unmatched music listening experience.
- The user interface was completely redesigned with improved usability, navigation between tracks at your fingertips, and elegant animations – you’ll feel like using it the first time!
- Support HD Output: Now, you can enjoy your favorite tracks on any device with Poweramp Music Player!
- Keyboard shortcuts in the main menu: You don’t need to go through all submenus to start playing a track that’s selected. Just press ‘O’, and Poweramp will play it immediately!
- Like Rock, Classical, etc., various types of EQ presets are available for music enthusiasts who know what they want from their tunes.
- Poweramp is a fantastic app that gives you complete control over how your Android plays WMA files. This means you have total customization for sound effects like bass or treble and equalizer settings such as Pop/Rock – if these features interest you, then download this app now!
- New DPS And Equalizer: The latest version of Poweramp comes with a new DPS (Digital Pre-Amp Simulator) and equalizer. These are beneficial tools that you can use to customize the sound output in your Android device.
- Ongoing Development: The team behind this app constantly improves its features and fix bugs, so expect more awesome things from Poweramp!
- 64 Bit Processing: This app has been optimized to run on 64-bit processors and can process sound in a much more efficient manner.
- Faster Loading: If your device’s memory is being burdened by the amount of music you’re listening too then this latest version will be a welcome change for you! Poweramp now loads faster than before, so loading up all your songs won’t take as long
- Custom Playlists And More Variety: You can create custom playlists with any music or folder that you want. This means you no longer have to listen to the same setlist over and over again!
- Gapless Smoothing: Gapless playback is now smoother than ever before.
- Equalizer: The equalizer has been improved to give you finer control of the audio output, and it also looks prettier!
- Faster Listening: You’ll notice that Poweramp loads faster when booting up
- Shuffle Playback Mode Added: Shuffle playback mode will play songs randomly without repeating any tracks repeatedly as other apps do. This means you can listen to music all day long without getting bored!
- Album Art Downloader Supports More Sites Than Ever Before: Album cover art download functionality has been expanded, so they now support more sites than ever before
- Improved Battery Life And Faster Charging Time For Android Devices With Fast Charge Support
#5. Music Player for Android
This is one of the best Android music player apps because it’s easy to use, has a massive library of songs and albums, is available for free in the Google Play Store, and offers many valuable features.
You can use this music layer to play WMA files on Android devices.
Features Of Music Player For Android
- Browse And Play Your Music: The app is built for music lovers so that you can browse and play your favorite music
- Browse For New Songs: Search through millions of songs to find what you’re looking for or ask the player to recommend something new
- Share With Friends: Share with friends by posting links on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, or email. Select from one of four social networks and share a song in seconds!
- Identify A Song Without Knowing The Name: Use Shazam integration in this Android music player app to identify any song without knowing its name
- Homescreen Widget Available: Add a widget to your home screen for quick access to all of your favorite songs
- Pause And Play Your Music: When you press pause, this player will remember where you left off and play from there when the song is resumed
- Create A Custom Playlist: Name what you want, then add as many songs as you like. Add more whenever needed at any time! The playlist stays updated automatically with new additions or removals
- Find Songs By Artist Or Song Title: Search through millions of music files that have been tagged by genre, artist name, album name, lyrics…find anything in seconds!
- Sort All Of Your Albums Into Categories Like “Top-Rated,” “Most Played,” etc.: Sort out albums into categories on the main screen.
- Search Online Music Videos: Find any music video you want to watch!
- Auto-Search Related Music: Find any music songs related to the one you’re currently listening too
- Scan All Your Songs And Find Missing Album Art: The player will scan your entire library and find all of your album art. No more guessing what’s missing!
- Search For Music By Various Criteria Like Artist, Song Title, Genre Etc.: Search through millions of music files that have been tagged by genre, artist name, album name…find anything in seconds!
- Library Management Options Are Available Right In The Player: This feature is not available on many other players, allowing users to quickly edit their song information without opening up another program or website.
#6. KMPlayer – All Video Player & Music Player
The KMPlayer is a versatile player that’s been around for quite some time. It can play virtually any file format, and it supports SRT and ASS subtitle formats as well.
In addition to this, KMPlayer can also be used as an audio player or video player with its own media library manager accessed by clicking on “Media Library” in the bottom left of the interface.
Features O KMPlayer
- Supports almost any media files (including DVDs)
- Supports SRT and ASS subtitle formats
- Plays audio or video with its library manager accessed by clicking on “Media Library” in the bottom left of the interface
- Automatically detects encoder language if it is set to do so
- Bookmark Your Favorite: KMPlayer remembers up to 50 bookmarks
- High Definition Video Playback: Supports all HDTV resolutions, including 1080p and 720
- Playlist: Easily create a playlist by dragging files onto the desired list or use “Add” to add them one by one
- Mark as Favorite: Mark your favorite media items for quick access at any time. Click on Favorites in the left column of KMPlayer’s main interface to view your favorites.
- Rate The Media Item You Are Watching And Get Recommendations Based On Your Ratings – Rate what you are watching with stars (or thumbs up/down) and get recommendations based on ratings; see also similar movies and TV shows from IMDb or Rotten Tomatoes
- Supports Multi-threading Technology For High-Performance Multimedia Playback
- Color Adjustment: Adjust your colors in both 360 degrees and 16.77 million color range
- Video Effect: Adjust the brightness, saturation, hue, gamma correction, and backlight to create your desired mood
- Frame Rate Conversion (FRC): Convert video for various frame rates with our advanced FRC algorithm; e.g., convert 24 fps to 30 or 60 fps
- Audio Track Mixing: Easily mix different audio tracks by dragging them onto the timeline at specific positions, then adjust the volume of each track individually
- Output Resolutions And Frame Rates For Almost All Devices On The Market – Supports resolutions up to 3840×1600 and output framerates ranging from 23.98 frames per second up to 240fps (requires a powerful PC)
- Timer Function: Set a timer for video or audio to automatically stop after the allotted time is up
- Volume Level Control: Adjust volume level of any track during playback and even mute background music
- Animated GIFs: Create short, looping animated graphics with sound; e.g., GIF avatars on social media sites like Facebook or Twitter
- Mobile Editing – Edit videos from your smartphone using our free mobile app
- Subtitle Setting: Change the text size, typeface, and color for subtitles
- Playlist – Automatically organize your videos in playlists like “Last Played” or “Most Recent Videos” so that they can be replayed one after another with a single click
- Picture-in-picture: Watch a video while browsing other content on your device at the same time. A small window will appear on top of any app you have open, displaying what’s currently playing.
Final Thought: How To Play WMA Files On Android
I hope you are now able to play your WMA files on Android. Now you got the answer for How To Play WMA Files On Android.
You can use any of the 6 WMA media players for playing your WMA files on Android.
But for me, the VLC for Android is the most user-friendly media player for playing WMA files on Android.
It has all the features you would expect in a good media player, such as playlists and picture-in-picture mode.
If you like VLC Media Player, please rate it high or share this article with your friends to use their device to play back their favorite music tracks easily.